A plea from Cameroon Concord........
Thank you for reading our magazine, we have a plea to ask you our readers. Over the last two years, hits on our articles have been climbing, we have had an increase in clicks and also a broader reading audience on our social media channels.Our readers have been writing to us requestion for news updates from Cameroon/Southern Cameroons. We have as well been trying to give you the best we can, however, we are short of finances to recruit reporters to carry on independent and investigative journalism which takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. We are therefore pleading on you to support our efforts for this platform to be able to keep up the good work we are doing.
For as little as €1, you can support Cameroon Concord– and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
Police in the Republic of Congo's capital exchanged heavy gunfire with unidentified gunmen Monday in the first major outbreak of violence since the re-election of President Denis Sassou Nguesso last month.
The shooting happened in Brazzaville's Bacongo and Makeleke neighborhoods. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
Nguesso first served as president between 1979 and 1992, and after losing an election returned to power in 1997. He won disputed elections in 2002 and 2009 before getting voter approval to remove constitutional blocks that would have barred him from the March 20 vote because of age and term limits.
An army general who finished third in the voting alleged fraud and called for a campaign of "civil disobedience" after the results were announced.
During a plenary sitting of the national assembly chaired by Speaker Cavaye Yeguie Djibril on April 1, 2016, Hon. Awudu Mbaya questioned Cameroon's Minister of Communications Issa Tchiroma on why all major headlines in the state owned Newspaper Cameroon Tribune were in French. "Depriving a people of information is a crime against humanity," he declared.
In his response, Communication Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary first historically situated the genesis of the English and French versions of Cameroon Tribune and explained that the economic crisis of the 80s, the 1994 devaluation CFA Franc and the ensuing corporate restructuring were behind the decision by its publisher, Cameroon News and Publishing Corporation (SOPECAM) in 1995, to produce only one bilingual edition.
He further stated that although the economic situation has improved with Cameroon Tribune regaining its aura as a reference news source in Africa, the newspaper sector has evolved and now marked by a competitive environment, the rapid development of Information and Communication Technologies and the Internet, making it difficult for newspapers to exist. "It is necessary to grant subsidy to ensure the profitability of a bilingual daily and seek resources to ensure its sustenance,"
Horrifying moment a woman SLICES OPEN a pregnant relative who had died in a doomed bid to save her unborn twins after hospital staff refused to help in Cameroon
- Gruesome mobile phone footage shows the moment woman was cut open
- The recently-deceased woman in Cameroon was carrying unborn twins
- But hospital staff said she was 'already dead' and refused to help the family
- A relative then used razors to cut her open and deliver the children herself
- One had already died and the second died soon afterwards, it was claimed
Cameroon outcry over razorblade operation to save unborn twins
A senior Nigerian official has told the BBC that a would-be suicide bomber arrested in Cameroon is not one of the missing Chibok schoolgirls.
The girl had told investigators she was one of 270 abducted in Nigeria in 2014 by Islamist militant group Boko Haram.
She had explosives strapped to her body, had been drugged and was badly injured when she was arrested last week, Cameroonian officials say.
Boko Haram is increasingly using girls to carry out suicide bombings.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a new investigation into the kidnappings in January, but admitted he had no information on the girls' whereabouts.
The abductions of the schoolgirls from Chibok town in north-eastern Nigeria sparked international outrage and the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign.
While about 50 of the girls managed to escape, 219 of the girls remain missing.
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has said some of the girls have been converted to Islam and forced to marry Boko Haram fighters.
There have been reports that some of them may have been forced to fight for the militant group, which is affiliated to Islamic State.
Although Boko Haram has been driven out from most of the areas it controlled in north-eastern Nigeria, it has continued to carry out suicide bombings and raids into neighbouring Cameroon, Chad and Niger.
Cameroon Concord Chairman and Editor-in-Chief Soter Tarh Agbaw-Ebai primarily examines the economic impact of Britain leaving the EU with CRTV’s Charles Ebune on Globe Watch.