A plea from Cameroon Concord........
Thank you for reading our magazine, we have a plea to ask you our readers. Over the last two years, hits on our articles have been climbing, we have had an increase in clicks and also a broader reading audience on our social media channels.Our readers have been writing to us requestion for news updates from Cameroon/Southern Cameroons. We have as well been trying to give you the best we can, however, we are short of finances to recruit reporters to carry on independent and investigative journalism which takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. We are therefore pleading on you to support our efforts for this platform to be able to keep up the good work we are doing.
For as little as €1, you can support Cameroon Concord– and it only takes a minute. Thank you.
A senior Facebook Inc executive was released after nearly 24 hours in a Brazilian jail due to a disputed court order demanding data from the company's WhatsApp messaging service for a confidential drug-trafficking investigation.
An appeals court judge handling the case in Sergipe state overturned a lower court decision to arrest Diego Dzodan, Facebook's vice president for Latin America, court officials said on Wednesday.
Law enforcement officials withheld further information about the nature of their request to the messaging service acquired by Facebook in 2014, saying it could compromise an ongoing criminal investigation.
"Diego's detention was an extreme, disproportionate measure, and we are pleased to see the court in Sergipe issue an injunction ordering his release," a Facebook spokesperson said in an emailed statement.
The arrest came as technology companies face mounting pressure from governments around the world to help them eavesdrop on users. Apple Inc and U.S. law enforcement officials are in a standoff over unlocking the iPhone of a shooter in the San Bernardino, California, attacks.
Court officials said the judge in Brazil resorted to the arrest after issuing a fine of 1 million reais ($250,000) to compel Facebook to help investigators get access to WhatsApp messages relevant to the confidential drug-trafficking investigation.
The move is likely impossible because WhatsApp began using end-to-end encryption technology in 2014 that prevents the company from monitoring messages that travel across its network, according to Christopher Soghoian, principal technologist with the American Civil Liberties Union.
U.S. and Malaysian officials say that based on early reports, a piece of debris found in Mozambique likely comes from a Boeing 777 jet — the same type of plane as missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.
Minister of Transport Liow Tiong Lai cautions that officials "are not able to conclude that the debris belongs to MH370 at this time."
Writing on Twitter, the transport minister says Malaysia's civil aviation authority is working with Australian officials to retrieve the debris.
US official's theory
A U.S. official says the debris appears to be the leading edge of the right-hand horizontal stabilizer of a Boeing 777.
Flight MH370 was carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew when it disappeared two years ago on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
The flight veered far off course about an hour after takeoff, and investigators believe it flew into the southern Indian Ocean for several hours before crashing. Last year, authorities found a piece of the plane's wing on the shores of Reunion Island.
A white Alabama police officer faces murder charges for the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man, authorities said on Wednesday.
Montgomery police officer Aaron "A.C." Smith, 23, is free on $150,000 bond after investigators found "probable cause" that he broke the law when he shot and killed Gregory Gunn last Thursday, Montgomery County District Attorney Daryl Bailey said.
The case now goes to a grand jury, he said.
Police killings of African-Americans, many of them unarmed, have sparked repeated protests over excessive use of force in the past few years.
An attorney for Smith told a reporter for the Montgomery Advertiser newspaper that the officer had stopped Gunn and started to search him "for his own safety" when Gunn broke from him and ran, according to an interview posted on the reporter's Twitter feed.
The attorney, Mickey McDermott, told the newspaper that Smith tried six times to use non-lethal force, including using his Taser and baton, to subdue Gunn, but that Gunn picked up a weapon and Smith had to use deadly force "as he was trained."
McDermott could not be reached by Reuters on Wednesday.
In remarks to reporters earlier Wednesday, Montgomery Police Chief Ernest Finley declined to confirm initial reports that Gunn had brandished a stick-like weapon.
"It's possible," Finley said. "At the end of the day, we're going to wait for the entire report from the DA's office or the SBI (State Bureau of Investigation)."
Mayor Todd Strange said he was not aware if there is any video of the incident.
Strange said the police department, composed of about 500 officers and 45 percent black, has made big strides in community relations over the years and will continue to reach out to citizens in the wake of the shooting.
"We have bridges to build again, but let's don't tear down what we have done," Strange said.
In front of the family home in Montgomery, a woman identified as Gunn's mother spoke to reporters.
"God is still in charge. And heaven knows what happened," she said in a video posted by the Montgomery Advertiser newspaper. "Man may not know. Only one that did it and one that got done to. But heaven knows."
Turkish President, Mr. Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday assured Nigeria of its support in the fight against terrorist, Boko Haram.
He gave the assurance at a joint press conference after holding bilateral talks with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Stressing that his country and Nigeria suffer the same constant threats of terrorists’ attacks, Erdogan said that it is better for the two countries to collaborate to defeat the menace.
The Turkish President, who spoke through an interpreter, noted that more Muslims have died in the terrorists’ attacks in Turkey and Nigeria and that people should not try to associate terrorism with any tribe or group as it would only serve to “assist the terrorists”.
He harped on the need for collaborative efforts in the anti-terror war as he condoled with Nigerians on the death of thousands of citizens resulting from Boko Haram attacks.
According to him, he would not allow any group in Turkey with peculiar interests dictate the pace or direction of his government’s efforts to tackle terrorism.
Arriving Nigeria with 150 Turkish businessmen, he said that Nigerian and Turkish entrepreneurs should mutually invest across the two countries which have a combined population of 260 million and the volume of trade between the two countries standing at $1.1billion.
He said: “Our total trade volume is currently at $1,145billion our export is $314million and our import is $831million. As you see the result is to the favour of Nigeria.
“I believe that if the two countries combine forces making use of our own respective resources we would be able to come up with even better outcomes.
“I want to call on Nigerian business people to also make investment in Turkey. We are ready to expand all the sectors that we can to them, particularly Turkish construction contracting companies which rank second in the world.
“We are ready to share our experiences particularly in the area of irrigation and agriculture.” he said
President Buhari thanked Turkey for training the Nigerian police and giving Nigeria quality equipment.
He said that his government and Nigeria would not be demoralized by the activities of Boko Haram.
Buhari also commiserated with Turkey on the deaths and carnage perpetrated by terrorists in that country, stressing that if far developed countries could be struck by terrorists, it showed how vulnerable less developed countries are.
According to him, delegations of both countries just signed memoranda of understanding on trade and economic cooperation and industrial cooperation, while others will still be signed on energy and security.
Buhari accepted Erdogan’s invitation to embark on a state visit to Turkey as soon as possible.
Dozens of emaciated-looking Boko Haram members begging for food have surrendered in northeast Nigeria, the military and a civilian self-defense fighter said Wednesday.
Seventy-six people including children and women gave themselves up to soldiers last Saturday in Gwoza, about 60 miles southeast of Maiduguri, according to a senior officer.
All are being detained at military headquarters in Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram and currently the command center of the war against the Islamic extremists, according to the officer. He insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to journalists.
The detainees said many more fighters want to surrender, a self-defense civilian fighter who helped escort them to Maiduguri told The Associated Press.
Food shortages could indicate that Nigeria’s military is succeeding in choking supply routes of the Islamic extremists who have taken their fight across Nigeria’s borders. Some 20,000 people have died in the 6-year-old uprising. Boko Haram was declared the deadliest of all terror groups in 2014, surpassing the Islamic State group to which it declared allegiance last year.
Nigeria’s military reported that dozens of Boko Haram fighters were surrendering in September and October last year. It promised those who give themselves up voluntarily that they will be rehabilitated through a de-radicalization program.
In the 10 months since he took office promising to halt the insurgency, President Muhammadu Buhari has replaced the leadership of the military, moved the headquarters for the fight from the distant capital, Abuja, to the heart of the northeastern insurgency and resupplied soldiers.
The military has driven the insurgents from the towns and villages where they had set up an Islamic caliphate but Boko Haram has returned to hit-and-run tactics and suicide bombings.