A recent Boko Haram suicide bombing in Cameroon on Friday evening left at least two persons dead and four others injured and sent troops scrambling to apprehend one of the bombers on the run.
The latest bombing took place in Dabanga, a locality in Cameroon’s far north region where Boko Haram attacks have multiplied in recent months.
Cameroonian newspaper, L’Oeil du Sahel, who first reported the suicide attack, said one of the bombers was killed while troops were after another one.
Boko Haram has been wreaking havoc in Cameroon since 2014, killing thousands of civilians, in addition to hundreds of policemen and soldiers. The terrorists have also kidnapped thousands of people.
In neighboring Nigeria, the massacre has been even worse. At least 25, 000 people have died there while more than two million people remain displaced, several years after the insurgency began in the country’s northeast in 2009.
Thousands of people have also been kidnapped there, many of them turned into sex slaves or suicide bombers. At least hundred Chibok girls abducted in 2014 remain missing.
The United States Department of State in its 2016 Terrorism Report released on Wednesday said Boko Haram killed thousands of people in West Africa last year. Worse, Nigeria was among the five countries where 75 percent of all terrorism related deaths occurred in 2016.