All for Joomla All for Webmasters

 

Concord Newsdesk

Concord Newsdesk

Website URL: http://www.cameroon-concord.com Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cameroon military have neutralised a suspected female suicide bomber early today in the city of Kolofata in the Far North region of Cameroon as reported by French Newspaper L'Oeil du Sahel.

Boko Haram, one of the world’s deadliest extremist groups, has used at least 130 women and girls in suicide attacks since June 2014, when a woman set off a bomb at an army barracks in Nigeria, according to The Long War Journal, which tracks terrorist activity.

Since then, women and girls, often with bombs hidden in baskets or under their clothes, have killed hundreds of people in attacks on fish and vegetable markets, schools, a river dock and even camps for people who fled their homes to escape the violence.

Boko Haram’s abuse of women first shocked the world three years ago, when it stormed a school in Nigeria and fled with about 300 girls, many of whom were never found. Hundreds of other women and girls have been abducted, imprisoned, raped and sometimes intentionally impregnated, perhaps with the goal of creating a new generation of fighters.

 

A suicide explosion early Friday, 23.06.2017 in Mora, Far North region of Cameroon has left two dead and one seriously injured. The two dead are the suspected Boko Haram insurgents.

Attacks in the border area also appear to have increased since the start of Ramadan.

The Council of Muslim Dignitaries and Imams of Cameroon has dispatched its members to the area to educate the population and instruct local Muslim clerics to be watchful.

The council’s president, Moussa Oumarou, says terrorists use this holy month of fasting to deceive young Muslims that if they die fighting for Allah they will go straight to paradise. He says poverty makes youth more vulnerable to that message.

The governor of the Far North region, Midjiyawa Bakari, declined to comment on the cause of the violence, but said residents should remain on alert.

Throughout its seven-year insurgency, Boko Haram has attacked government and civilian targets in Cameroon and neighbouring Nigeria to win territory and instill fear across northern Nigeria. Leaders promise young foot soldiers martyrdom, conscripting them and sending them into battle lightly armed and with little training. The group has abducted thousands of women and children.

Today's attack comes barely two days after suspected militants killed 10 people in another suicide attack in the town of Kolofata-Northern Cameroon.Boko Haram has been wreaking havoc in Cameroon since 2014, killing about 2000 civilians and at least 150 soldiers and policemen and displacing hundreds of thousands of people in a war that does not seem to go away.

Soldiers and other military personnel found guilty of acts of insubordination, including protest marches will henceforth receive heavy jail terms at the Military Tribunal.

This is one of the main provisions of bill No. 1010/PJL/AN to lay down the code of military justice. Government tabled the draft law for scrutiny at the National Assembly in Yaounde on June 19.

Going by observers, the bill is partly Government’s bid to stem the tides of a growing phenomenon wherein soldiers storm the streets to protest unpaid dues.

On June 3, some 30 soldiers of the Multinational Joint Task Force of the Lake Chad Basin demonstrated in Zigue in the Logone and Chari Division of the Far North Region.

The soldiers, who complained about unpaid allowances, stirred panic in the area. They were later arrested and transferred to Yaounde for disciplinary sanctions.

On September 9, 2015, more than 200 Cameroonian soldiers of the UN Multidimensional Integrated Force for the Stabilisation of the Central Africa Republic ignited fear in the streets of Yaounde when they protested against the non-payment of over eight months of arrears of their allowances.

To bring calm within the ranks, President Biya quickly ordered that the allowances be paid immediately, which the authorities did and the matter was laid to rest.

Last Monday’s bill that is now being scrutinized by the National Defence and Security Commission of the National Assembly is seen as the authority’s way of deterring any acts of protests within the military.

According to Section 39 of the proposed law, servicemen found guilty of acts of insubordination will be punished with an imprisonment term of one to five years.

“Any serviceman who refuses to obey or execute a lawful command given by his/her superior shall be punished with imprisonment for from 1 (one) to 5 (five) years.

However, obeying a patently unlawful command, as defined in the regulations, shall incur the criminal liability of the subordinate, without prejudice to that of the superior,” partly reads the text.

The proposed law also provides that any acts of insubordination in the presence of the enemy or rebels shall be punished with life imprisonment.

Section 41 of the bill prohibits any kind of revolt in the military. It partly reads as follows: “Any two or more servicemen shall be considered to be in a situation of revolt when they meet to: (a) jointly refuse, at the first command, to obey orders of their superior, (b) take up arms and act against the orders of their superior; (c) engage in violence, destruction and degradation, or make use of their weapons.”Such cases, according to the bill, earn imprisonment terms of five to ten years. It also states that the instigator of any revolt shall be punished with maximum penalty.

The bill adds that when such situation happens off duty, the penalty shall be six months to two years. If the subordinate is not aware that the victim is a superior officer, the penalty may not exceed six months.

The draft law also prescribes heavy sanctions on servicemen who sleep on sentry-duty, ignite violence against subordinates and are caught in misconduct.

It prescribes six months to five years imprisonment terms for servicemen who, while on duty, issue threats or insults against a superior officer either in writing of through gestures.

It further stipulates that any serviceman who fails to pay respect to the national flag shall be punished with imprisonment term of six months to five years.

“Any medical officer, military health worker or serviceman who conducts or causes the conduct of medical test on a serviceman without his or her informed consent or discloses the illness or medical status of a sick or infected serviceman shall be punished with imprisonment term of one to three months and fine of from FCFA 100,000 to one million.

Whoever, without provocation uses insulting or disparaging language or gestures towards a sick or injured serviceman about an illness or disability, shall be punished with imprisonment term of three months to three years and a fine FCFA 200,000 to two million,” reads section 44 of the draft law.

It further warns that any serviceman or member of the defence forces who commits an act of discrimination against a serviceman based solely on the latter’s medical status shall bag an imprisonment term of one month to one year and a fine of FCFA 100,000 to one million.

In addition, any serviceman who dissipates or fails to produce a piece of weapon, equipment or outfit, or any other object assigned for use on duty or entrusted to him for service purposes, shall be slammed a six-month to five-year imprisonment term, going by the law.

It states that maximum penalty shall be 15 years if the dissipated items were essential for the functioning of the service.

Cameroonpostline

 

The population of symbock neighbourhood in Yaounde, Cameroon's capital got up this Wednesday morning June 22 2017 in tears and sorrow as floods had swept away some homes on its way and surroundings inundated. Two houses where brought down by the floods which also carried away properties from many homes along its passage.

Many businesses around the area are seriously affected by the disaster as they can't open their doors since the entire environ is engulfed by water. One amongst the businesses severely touched is the Etok- koss touristic centre which has been shutdown for the whole day. The centre which has many fish ponds, restaurant, leisure facilities, touristic sites and a poultry has been stagnant. A spokesman for the centre, Dr Thomas Essono regretted, his enterprise will lose about 500,000 fcfa per day excluding the fish ponds destroyed and a huge quantity of fish gone into the near by river mefou which break its banks due to heavy rains.

He added that since water has entered the whole centre with everything Wet and some damaged beyond repairs, it might take them at least 4 days to get back to business if the government does not intervene fast. The situation is largely blamed on the illegal and haphazard construction of houses in swampy areas which block water passages.

Inhabitants have also point accusing fingers at the national commission on disaster management for not doing its job properly. They are to prevent catastrophes and not wait to come in only when it has happened.

With the advent of the holidays, students engage in holiday jobs to help reduce the budget for back to school on the part of their parents.

A father is seriously blaming himself for allowing his son to work at his construction site in the Essos Neighborhood in Yaounde. The student was buried under rubble from sliding earth at the site, the loose earth from the hillside was not supported and the boy filling the foundation below was buried alive.

The Fire Rescue Unit rushed to the scene but was not lucky as they could retrieve only the lifeless body of the boy from the rubble.

The said Economic partnership agreement EPA between Cameroon and the European Union which entered into vigour since 4th of August 2016 has been in disfavour of mr Biya's country.

Ten months after the agreement went operational, Cameroon has recorded a fall in revenue collection which stands at 600 million fcfa far from the 15 billion drop that was previewed.

The general manager of Cameroon customs, Fongod Edwin Nuvaga revealed this information during a two day workshop which ended in Douala yesterday 21st of June 2017.

This lose could increase drastically as days go by due to fraud, corruption and black market transactions at the Douala seaport.



More to that, Customs officials also warn that, if strict surveillance measures are not taken to control products imported,  businessmen will fraudulently pass their goods through Europe  so as to benefit from tax exoneration in Cameroon.

It is against this backdrop that the directorate general of customs brought its private partners on a common platform to chart the way forward on how to  fight against these ills.

The first group of imported products benefiting from tax  incentives include medications, medical equipment computers, school materials, among others. Meanwhile the second set of goods  which constitutes;  industrial products, essential oil, tyres, just to name a few, will receive a 15% reduction per year in taxes for seven years as from 2016.

Though government overlooks at the 600 million lose, but economists say it is not healthy for the country's economy which is dangling at the moment and hope to emerge by 2035.

Making a trade deal with a 27 nation zone against Cameroon is very unfair and even makes Cameroon's commitment to the  CEMAC sub region questionable.

It is alleged that mr Biya's kingdom 'Nicodemusly' signed the partnership with the EU without the consent of its CEMAC members who have remained reticent and sceptical about the deal.

Page 1 of 307

Headlines On Cameroonian English Tabloids

Modern Villa For Sale in Yaounde Cameroon

Cameroon Concord  is an online publication covering and reporting on  local and world news, sports, entertainment, politics, business, and religious news. Serving Cameroonians .

Newsletter

 

Get the latest news and information delivered directly to your inbox by subscribing to our news alerts.

ADVERTISE

Top
We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…