Expectations are rife as the President of the Republic, Paul Biya returned home last October 21, 2017 to face the degenerated Anglophone crisis exactly one month after he took part at the United Nations 72nd General Assembly in New York, USA. Hot on the table of the Head of State is certainly the socio-political crisis in the two Anglophone regions of the North West and South West that degenerated into popular unrest last September 22, 2017 and October 1, 2017.
Many Cameroonians believe that away from the country, President Paul Biya reflected on the way forward and took several resolutions on how to tackle the one year crisis given that repressive measures have proven their limitations as they rather fan the populations’ anger and determination to forge ahead with more radical demands.
Accompanied by the First Lady, Mrs Chantal Biya, the President of the Republic arrived the nation capital on the same day the Prime Minister, Head of Government, Philemon Yang and other top government officials rounded up a one week consultations with the populations of the North West and South West Regions on the best peaceful method to end the crisis.
It is highly expected that the President of the Republic will personally solve the crisis as requested by the population of the two Anglophone regions especially as he declared openly his intention to use meaningful dialogue to frustrate the plans of secessionists and promote a one and indivisible Cameroon he has always dreamt of.
The request for President Biya to unconditionally release the remaining Anglophones still under detention as well as those continuously arrested in order to facilitate grounds for meaningful and frank dialogue to begin has been emerging from different fronts.
While political pundits argue that the President of the Republic took up time to maybe prepare a new government highly expected in the days ahead, other critics counter that, it is disturbing for him to have stayed away from his home as leader at the time his country is still burning with the Anglophone crisis.
The nation now holds its breath as citizens look up to the Unity Palace occupant with a lot of hope that Cameroon may soon regain its long enjoyed peace and stability.
Following the many twists taking place in the Anglophone crisis, with a government peace talks delegation sent out to the entire Anglophone territory last week, the people of Mamfe seem not to have noticed the presence of any high level delegation from Yaoundé but saw a few of their elites patrolling the town in their big cars.
These elite were meant to meet with the population of Mamfe at the Mamfe town hall on Monday 16th October 2017 but the meeting venue though heavily militarised had in attendance mostly the Yaoundé delegation with a hand full of elites in the hall confined to the front seats as the number was too small.
A Mamfe inhabitant in his 60s told The SUN that; “yes they came to have their elites meeting and not to meet with the people because we don’t even know where they are now or where they were yesterday.”
Many are of the opinion that the way the delegation avoided the press, not giving any clear schedule of their movements and meetings has left many wondering if they did not just take a week-long vacation to Mamfe.
Meanwhile, reliable reports from Ncahng in Mamfe say those who attempted meeting with the people of Nchang village were told to repair all the cars and houses shattered by the military on October 1st before talking to them.
In a phone conversation with a source in Akwaya, he told The SUN that the Akwaya delegation was received by a grumbling hall.
Meanwhile Senator Anja in Satoum was quizzed by his people on the last time he was seen in the village since he became Senator.
It is thus clear that the Mamfe delegation rode back to Yaoundé with no good news thus another failed government strategy.
Consultative talks to designate a replacement for the paramount chieftaincy stool in Limbe has ended in a deadlock last Friday October 20, 2017 forcing the Senior Divisional Officer for Fako, Engamba Emmanuel Ledoux to postpone the talks to a later date – Friday, November 3, 2017.
In a tense atmosphere on Friday, October 20 at the Limbe city council hall, Down Beach, the three main families in Limbe; the Carrs, Mukebas and Manga Williams couldn’t agree on the choice for a successor to the late chief Ferguson Billa Manga Williams, who passed away some 11 years ago.
According to a representative of the Carr family, David Nanjia Carr, late Ferguson Billa Manga Williams and his father who have ruled Victoria for almost a century were not traditionally designated chiefs. He argued that Chief Johannes Manga Williams, Ferguson’s father, was a district officer in 1908 who was imposed on the Victoria community by the Germans because he was literate.
He added that the Manga Williams family has never been a royal family and cannot be permitted allowed to continue to rule in Victoria, now Limbe.
Chief Samuel Ekum of Dikolo on his part cited historical references to indicate that the Manga Williams are the rightful owners of the Limbe paramount chieftaincy throne. He argued that their royal lineage could be traced to Bimbia, true owners of the Land that later became Victoria after offering it to Alfred Saker in 1858.
Chief Ekum maintained that the Limbe chieftaincy is hereditary and not rotatory as claimed by the other protagonists. He cited how Late Chief Johannes Manga Williams ruled Victoria from 1908-1958 when he died and the throne was inherited by his son, Ferguson Manga Williams who ruled from 1958 till his demise in 2006.
“It is only normal that the throne be given to another member of the Manga Williams family, I don’t know where all these other people are coming from with their claims”, Chief Ekum stated.
Other speakers during the talks asked the SDO to consider giving each division within Limbe its own paramount chief since the administrative unit has been split into Limbe I, II and III.
On the other hand, another speaker urged the SDO to consult the ‘Beele commission’ which was constituted after the demise of Chief Johanness Manga Williams in 1958. The commission requires that the three main families in Victoria; Carrs, Mukebas and the Manga Williams to deliberate and come with a new chief in the case of a vacancy.
As the atmosphere became more strained, the Senior Divisional Officer for Fako Engamba Emmanuel Ledoux told the three different families to go back and have pre-consultative talks and produce a single candidate for the Paramount chieftaincy stool. He adjourned the matter to November 3, 2017 for broad consultative talks that will finally select the new heir to the Limbe chieftaincy throne.
The consultative talks that held last Friday, October 20 came on the heels of another family event that saw a major endorsement last Friday, October 6 of Prince John Elufa Manga Williams by a cross section of Limbe Kingmakers to fill the vacant stool of the Limbe paramount chieftaincy.
This was done in the presence of other Limbe elites at the Johnny Manga Williams residence in Mbonjo, amongst them was the member parliament for Fako East, Hon. Etombi Gladys, Mayor Nseke Luma of Limbe III, The Divisional Officer of Limbe III and former government delegate, Lifanda Samuel Ebiama. There was also the noticeable presence of the Chief of Batoke, HRH Molungu Otto.
The six kingmakers who endorsed Prince John Manga Williams and promised to present him to the Fako SDO as their choice for the Limbe paramount chieftaincy stool include, Chief Samuel Ekum of Dikolo, Pastor Monjimbo of Bonagombe, Isaac Nanjia Carr, a representative of the Mukeba family amongst others.
The endorsement comes a year after Johnny Manga Williams (as he is fondly called) was officially nominated by the Manga Williams family as the one to replace the late Chief Furguson Billa Manga Williams, who passed away some 11 years ago.
An Inter urban transport agency plying the Yaounde-Douala road-network has been banned from circulation after one of its buses was involved in a deadly accident in which over 20 civilians lost their souls with many others severely injured.General express voyages was suspended for 3 months by Cameroon's Minister of transportation on Tuesday, October 25th 2017.
The Minister of Communication Issa Tchiroma Bakary has said in a press conference which he chaired yesterday that, the information which the International Crisis Group have in the reports which they published about the upheavals in the Southern Cameroons is false.
This organisation revealed that government is the sole cause of this crisis and they should take full responsibility. It irked Tchiroma so much that he tried everything possible to prove them wrong. He said that this organisation has never gone to the field to really see what the Northwest and Southwest are going through.
The NGO said the government’s crackdown on the anglophone minority had failed and had only served to fuel a clamour for independence.
The report states that in the face of mounting protests in the run-up to the declaration of independence by activists, the security forces “responded with disproportionate force, leading to at least 40 deaths and over 100 injured protesters between September 28 and 2 October,”. t
It pointed to the use of live rounds and excessive use of teargas. “Due to such murderous repression, secessionist ranks are growing by the day, and some are more firmly evoking the idea of an armed struggle or ‘self defence’,” it said.
NIAMEY (Reuters) - A group of four West African presidents said on Tuesday they planned steps to accelerate the creation of a shared currency for the 15-country ECOWAS bloc by 2020, according to a joint statement
The future currency, whose name is yet to be determined, would replace the dominant CFA Franc introduced by former colonial power France in 1945 and whose treasury still backs it.
“Our region needs this unifying instrument, symbol of our shared destiny, to consolidate our customs union,” ECOWAS chairman and Togolese President Faure Gnassingbe said on Twitter.
The statement was from the presidents of Togo, Ghana, Niger and Ivory Coast who form part of a task force on the envisaged currency. A committee is planned to lead the efforts, it said.
But the president of the biggest economy in the region, Nigeria, urged caution, citing difficulties in the euro zone.
“Nigeria will caution against any position that pushes for a fast-track approach to monetary union, while neglecting fundamentals and other pertinent issues,” said Muhamadu Buhari.
West African leaders have for decades held meetings on creating their own currency in order to promote regional trade and investment, but little progress has been made.
Popular anger over the CFA franc, which stands for African Financial Cooperation in French and is seen by many in the region as a symbol of unwelcome French paternalism, dates back to at least 1994 when Paris suddenly devalued the currency.
Establishing a new currency would involve dissolving the Dakar-based West African Central Bank BCEAO for the eight countries within the zone that use it and creating another one.
The remaining seven countries in the ECOWAS bloc include English-speaking countries like Gambia and Sierra Leone as well as Portuguese-speaking Guinea Bissau. Each has its own currency.